In order to promote optimum oral health while wearing braces, it is essential to continue to care not only for your teeth and gums but also for your orthodontic braces. For a better understanding of the basics of caring for your braces, listed below are some important facts you should know:
– Always visit your orthodontist for needed cleanings and exams.
– To certify that your braces will continue to function as required, some food restrictions may be compulsory. For example, avoid sticky and chewy foods that can get trapped between your braces and teeth.
– If a wire or bracket should break apart on your braces, minimize the damage by covering the loose end with a dental wax and scheduling a visit with your orthodontist for repairs.
– Keeping your braces clean and clear of debris requires a normal routine to operate as usual, including brushing and flossing daily. If you cannot floss with standard tools, use alternatives such as water flossers.
– Never wait too long to wash your retainer, so try to focus on a routine of weekly cleaning.
– Sports and other outdoor activities are a leading reason behind oral accidents in patients, so it is important to always protect your smile at all times by using mouth guards, facemasks, or headgear, if applicable.
Don’t wait until it’s too late to clean your braces. If you would like to know if you need orthodontic braces, please book an oral exam with Dr. Ben McDowell and our team at Payson Orthodontics at our orthodontic office in Payson, Arizona, by calling us at 928-472-7223. The wait is over. Come get your perfect smile today!