Braces are there to fix the positioning of your teeth. Once detached, they reveal an amazing new smile. Wouldn’t it be a shame if that smile went back to its old ways? That’s why it’s so important to wear your retainer; it keeps your teeth in proper alignment. But that’s not the only reason! Here are some fascinating perks of wearing a retainer:
1. Certain kinds of retainers can actually normalize your breathing patterns and help you sleep better. If you snore or have sleep apnea, talk to your orthodontist or dentist about retainer solutions.
2. Does your child has a speech impediment? Wearing a retainer can help alter his or her tongue placement and improve the ability to form accurate speech.
3. Maintaining straighter teeth is about more than your appearance; it means better oral health. Straight teeth are easier to clean, leading to less plaque, cavities and other dental problems.
4. The American Diabetes Association reports that poor oral health is actually correlated with diabetes. Believe it or not, if you wear your retainer and keep your teeth straight and your bite healthy, you actually have a statistically decreased chance of getting diabetes.
5. Better oral health means better overall health. Straight teeth can help you chew food better, receiving more nutrients from your food and a healthier body.
If your braces are coming off soon or you have questions about your retainer, please call Payson Orthodontics in Payson, Arizona at 928-472-7223. Our orthodontist, Dr. Ben McDowell, and our expert team are eager to see you!